Our Mission, Vision & Values
To develop key research projects to help understand the causes of rheumatic disease in children and adults, and to foster the development of better therapies.
To develop curative therapies for rheumatic diseases in children and adults through dedicated research.
Genuinely concerned about other peoples needs
a cooperative spirit and mutual respect
Respect for colleagues, stakeholders, our patients, their families and our community
Understanding our emotional and physical impact on others
Chief Research Officer
Dr Kevin J. Murray
Kevin is a paediatric rheumatologist based at the Perth Children’s Hospital (PCH) and at the Child and Adolescent Rheumatology Service at Arthritis Australia Centre in Shenton Park. He is also the Head of Department of Rheumatology, Metabolic Medicine and Complex Pain services at PCH.
Kevin trained initially in paediatrics at PMH and then undertook paediatric rheumatology training at the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital in the US for 5 years. From 1998-2002 he was Head of the Paediatric Rheumatology Service at the Great Ormond St Hospital for Children in London prior to returning to Australia. He has previously Chaired of the Australasian Paediatric Rheumatology Group, been Secretary of the Australian Rheumatology Association-WA branch and the Australasian representative of the Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organisation.
His clinical and research interest encompass the spectrum of rheumatic and musculo-skeletal disorders of children but in particular: Juvenile arthritis, Juvenile dermatomyositis, SLE and vasculitis disorders and Hypermobility in childhood.
He is an author of over 60 scientific articles and over many other reviews and book chapters in the area of paediatric rheumatology. He is the father of three young children, an Auskick and T20 Blast coach, and a sometimes avid paddler.
Dr Murrays recent research articles and projects of interest
- Temporomandibular Joint Involvement is Associated with Quality of Life, Disability and High Disease Activity in Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organisation (PRINTO). Frid P,et al and Murray KJ, et al. ; Arthritis Care Res 2017;69:677-686
- Management of Children with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. Viswanathan V, Murray KJ. Indian J Pediatr. 2016 ;83:63-70.
- Chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis in children: nine years’ experience at a statewide tertiary paediatric rheumatology referral centre. Walsh P, et. Al. and Murray KJ. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2015; 54(9):1688-91
- Australian Paediatric Rheumatology Group standards of care for the management of juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Munro J, Murray K, et al. ; Australian Paediatric Rheumatology Group. J Paediatr Child Health. 2014 Sep;50(9):663-6
SLE and Vasculitis
- The national incidence and clinical picture of SLE in children in Australia – a report from the Australian Paediatric Surveillance Unit. Mackie FE, et al and Murray K et al. Lupus. 2015 Jan;24(1):66-73.
- Major cluster of chilblain cases in a cold dry Western Australian winter. Larkins N, Murray KJ. J Paediatr Child Health. 2013;49:144-7.
- A national registry for juvenile dermatomyositis and other paediatric idiopathic inflammatory myopathies: 10 years’ experience; the Juvenile Dermatomyositis National (UK and Ireland) Cohort Biomarker Study and Repository for Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies. Martin N, et al Murray K, et al ; Juvenile Dermatomyositis Research Group 2011 ;50:137-45.
- The Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organisation provisional criteria for the evaluation of response to therapy in juvenile dermatomyositis. Ruperto N, et al Murray KJ, et al; Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organisation (PRINTO); Pediatric Rheumatology Collaborative Study Group (PRCSG). Arthritis Care Res 2010 Nov;62(11):1533-41
Hypermobility and Pain Disorders in Children
- Two subtypes of symptomatic joint hypermobility: a descriptive study using latent class analysis. Di Mattia F, et al and Murray KJ, et al Arch Dis Child. 2018 Aug 17.
- Hypermobility and Musculoskeletal Pain in Adolescents. Morris SL, O’Sullivan PB, Murray KJ et al J Pediatr. 2017 Feb;181:213-221
- Characteristics of chronic non-specific musculoskeletal pain in children and adolescents attending a rheumatology outpatients clinic: a cross-sectional study. O’Sullivan P et al and Murray K, et al Pediatr Rheumatol Online J. 2011 Jan 19;9(1):3.